The history of Nikolaihof Wachau in Mautern spans about 2,000 years. It was, at various times, a celtic place of worship, part of a Roman fort, a bishop's seat and an administrative centre.
In 1894 the Saahs family took over the estate and carried on the traditions the monks had established here. Integrated farming continued, and even as winemaking and grape growing took a larger role at Nikolaihof in the 1960s, chemicals were never used in farming. Essentially this estate has always been organic. Nikolaihof has been practicing Bio-dynamics since 1971, making them one of the longest Bio-dynamic practicing wineries in the world. Nikoliahof became Demeter certified Bio-dynamic in 1998. - 5 months ago