Butter chicken recipe
I learned this recipe from an Indian chef called Maz! He revealed an interesting fact which was that a lot of our favourite Indian curries start as a bhuna, then we add further ingredients to turn them into other dishes. So fried onions + peppers for a jalfrezi, spinach for saagwala, sugar + lemon for pathia, lentils for dansak, lots of cream + sugar for korma, fried tomatoes for rogan gosh and so on! So you can adapt the base of this curry to your liking! Tikka masala is different though, I will share this soon!
You can make a big batch of the below spice mix as a go to by switching the teaspoons for tablespoons and storing in a jar.
Maz’s spice mix:
2 tsp medium curry powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp medium chilli powder
1kg deboned,skinless,diced chicken thighs
1 dollop of ghee or veg oil
1 bay leaf
Cinnamon (small piece-break off a shard)
3 cardamom pods
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb piece ginger
1 large onion or 2 small
1 green chilli (deseeded for mild, seeds in for medium, 2 chillis for hot!)
1 tbsp fresh coriander stalk
1 large fresh tomato
1/2 tin tomatoes
150ml double cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
1. In a bowl make the spice mix
2. Grate the garlic + ginger, chop the onion, chilli, coriander, fresh tomato + add to a non stick pan with the ghee, cinnamon, cardamom + bay.
3. Stir for a few mins on a highish heat, add a splash of water, turn the heat down, add a lid + sweat for 10 mins.
4. Add 2 tbsp of the spice mix (there will be a bit leftover) stir on a medium heat for 5 mins, add the tinned tomatoes, 200ml water followed by the chicken, stir and put a lid on for 20 mins with the heat turned down) check occasionally it’s not drying out.
5. After 20 mins assess the consistency, if it’s too runny, cook with the lid off for about 5 mins, if it’s too thick or dry, add a bit more water and cook for about 5 mins.
6. It’s currently a Bhuna! For Butter Chicken add the cream, sugar and butter and cook for another 5 mins on a low heat, finally check if it needs extra salt. - 21 hours ago