Quicker and easier than pancakes but just as comforting (particularly when piled high with your favourite fruits and a little drizzle of maple syrup), French toast makes a delicious brekky treat and can easily be modified to suit your taste or dietary requirements.
Go traditional with thickly sliced brioche dipped in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk, or make it vegan with a mixture of plant-based milk and cornflour (plus your choice of spices), or use up whatever bread you have (stale or fresh!). Fry it in a little butter, margarine or oil. Then heap on your preferred fruit and a teeny bit of sweetener.
MY EGG-FREE FRENCH TOAST WITH FRIED BANANAS
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 2 large of Margarine
- Raspberries and maple syrup, to serve.
Heat one knob of margarine in a non-stick pan. Slice the bananas in half lengthways and cook on high heat for a few minutes, turning once, until golden and caramelised and remove. Whisk together milk, cornflour, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat remainder of the butter in the pan. Quickly soak the bread in the milk mixture and cook in pan for around 5mins. Serve with the bananas, raspberries and a small drizzle of maple syrup on yours.
- Keep it quick - unless you are using stale bread (which is great!), make sure you only dip your bread in the mixture right before you are about to fry it as it generally absorbs the liquid very quickly and you don’t want it to take on too much (unless you like yours soggy).
- Keep it low sugar - I prefer, particularly for my mini, to keep the sugar content confined to the fruit toppings and to go for a natural sugar for myself such as maple syrup, coconut syrup or honey (just remember no honey for your mini if they’re under one). ENJOY 😊🍞🍌 - 1 hour ago