🦠 This year, Australians will be injected with a trivalent or quadrivalent Flu strain. We are immunising against four strains of Influenza - A & B.
🦠 The deactivated viruses included in the Quadrivalent flu vaccine this year are:
1. A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
2. A/South Australia/34/2019 (H3N2)-like virus;
3. a B/Washington/02/2019-like (B/Victoria lineage) virus; and
4. 4. a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage) virus.
🦠 Each year the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee (AIVC) meet to discuss and formulate what the upcoming flu vaccine will be comprised of, based off the latest medical and clinical research. This is another reason annual injections are strongly urged.
🦠 The 2020 Influenza vaccines available in Australia are:
* Children aged 6 months to under 3 years: FluQuadri, Vaxigrip Tetra, Fluarix Tetra
* Children aged 3 to under 5 years: FluQuadri, Vaxigrip Tetra, Fluarix Tetra, Influvac Tetra
* People aged 5 to 64 years: FluQuadri, Vaxigrip Tetra, Fluarix Tetra, Afluria Quad, Influvac Tetra
* Adults 65 years +: FluQuadri, Vaxigrip Tetra, Fluarix Tetra, Afluria Quad, Influvac Tetra, Fluad Quad
🦠 It sounds daunting, but that’s where doctors come in! Let your doctor do the work for you - it’s our area of expertise! Your doctor will be able to advise you on the most apt vaccine for you and your family, based on many variables such as your age and eligibility to receive vaccination without cost. - 1 minute ago