Why Fishing Net Gains Nigeria (F-NGN) ? (F-NGN) is a 3-year project, designed in line with the Global Ghost Gear Initiative (GGGI) goals of identifying and tackling the issues of ghost gear and other related threats to marine life in Nigeria and the West Coast of Africa. 'Ghost gear' is any fishing gear that is abandoned, lost or discarded in marine environments. This includes fishing nets, long lines, fish traps, lobster pots or any other human-made device used to catch marine animals.
There are many ways in which this fishing gears can be lost in the sea:
1. Environmental: storms, wave action or currents, sedimentation, ice cover, deep-water conditions.
2. Gear conflict: entanglement with other vessels or bottom topography such as
reefs or rocky bottoms.
3. Gear condition: breaks loose/cut loose (intent can be accidental or deliberate) due to old age/overuse.
4. Inappropriate disposal at sea.
The SeaDoc Society, for example, has estimated just one abandoned net could kill almost $20,000 (£13,000) worth of Dungeness crab over 10 years while the Virginia Institute of Marine Science has estimated abandoned or lost crab pots in the Chesapeake Bay area capture 1.25m blue crabs annually.
That being said, In line with the Global Ghost Gear Initiative [GGGI], the aim of this project is to :
1. Raise awareness in the public on the impacts of Abandoned, Lost, or otherwise Discarded Fishing Gears (ALDFGs).
2. Improve the livelihood of host communities through craft innovations using recovered ghost gears.
3. Promote community integration and participation in the F-NGN project through the F-Hubnet program. (The F-Hubnet will include the construction of the Hubnet as a core aspect of F-NGN within the fishing communities. It will serve as the collection point for recovered gears, data collection centre, reporting centre and complaint centre.)
4. Proffer sustainable recycling solutions through creative craft contest and replicating solutions. etc.. GHOST FISHING is threatening our oceans. And together we can tackle it #Fishing #FishNets #GGGI #OceanLife #GhostFishing #GhostGear #Fishers #NGO #SoferInitiative - 16 hours ago